Monday, February 10, 2014

10 February, 2014


Dear Family,

This week I found out how to say "krabby patty" in Spanish. It's "cangre burge" (cangrejo hamburguesa) in case you were wondering. Just another gem from the world of American television dubbed into other languages. 

This week was pretty good, con la excepción de que he estado un poco resfriado, y acabo de estar con tos también. In other words I've had a cold and a bad cough. It's been raining here since last Thursday, which was incredible because last Sunday all the members in the area fasted together for rain. Now we just have to figure out how to turn it off before we all drown...

                The highlight this week was that one of our families we’re teaching came to church and stayed for all three hours with both of their daughters. They said they loved it and plan to come every week. I think the chances of them getting baptized are pretty high. They're such great people - and have been prepared to receive the gospel. We also met with another investigator yesterday who’s gone through a 180 degree change since Elder Edwards and I met with him a few months ago. He related some of his experiences being in the Peruvian military to Elder Huamán and I, and he told us that he'll come to church the week after next. I think we really made some headway with him. He wants to learn about the gospel now, especially El Libro de Mormón. 

                 So yeah. I've seen some real progress with my Spanish this week. I no longer sound like a gringo at all. I used to think the accent wouldn't be too bad, I mean, I could roll my Rs and everything, but it's harder than you might think to pass yourself off as semi-fluent and not likely to hurt yourself trying to say words like "ronronear" or "tergiversar" (my Spanish vocabulary word from Sunday, courtesy of Juan - who teaches me a lot just by conversing with us because he's highly educated and speaks Spanish accordingly). 

                My amusing anecdote for the week actually comes from last week when we helped the Mannings paint a casita on the church nut farm. They gave us all coveralls with hoods to work in, but the zipper on mine was broken, so they solved the problem by giving me another one in XXXL, which I decided to just wear over the first one. So, covered in excess material and therefore looking something like the Michelin Man crossed with a ninja (I'll send some pictures later) we set to work. It was a pretty fun experience, albeit hotter than I would have liked.        

                 Yesterday I got a reproving call from Sister Weston reminding me to write my weekly email to President because I completely forgot to. And by reproving I mean as reproving as Sister Weston can possibly be. She's a really sweet lady. I'm fairly certain that President has Sister Weston make calls like that sometimes so that he doesn't freak the missionaries out. 

                I have yet to be with a companion that I didn't like, it's true. I guess it will happen somewhere along the line. Hopefully not anytime soon though.

Love you all and have a great week.

-Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment