Monday, April 21, 2014

New Companion...and other good stuff


Hi everyone!

I hope your week has been going as great as mine has! It's been a little hectic (like always) getting a new companion and getting adjusted again, but things have gone well. We're hoping to find some new investigators through referrals, and this week we're planning on working a lot more with the members to try to find new investigators. We also found out that one of our investigators got back with his wife, which is awesome (hopefully). So now we're teaching their whole family. I can tell that having their mom back in the house has been a tender mercy for his kids, who have pretty much just been alone for the entire time she's been gone because their dad works so much. We tried to get them to come to the baptism yesterday, but the Dad was working (again). So keep them in your prayers! As for our other investigator who bails on us all the time, we managed to see him and he told us to come back a few hours later - but then he wasn't there. At this point this is getting pretty ridiculous (I mean, come on, you're a grown man), so we're probably just going to give him some time. His baptism was scheduled for yesterday (along with yet another investigator). This third investigator has dropped off the face of the earth. We've been by his house and tried to call him about 5 times this week and... nothing. So I sure hope we find some new people to teach. It was kind of comforting to find out from the Lincoln missionaries that this area has a reputation for being slow - so it's not just us.

My new companion, Elder Tepox, is pretty great. He's from Puebla Mexico, and he's awesome at teaching less-active members because he used to be inactive himself. He has a younger brother serving in the Santa Rosa mission (right next to us) and they'll get home about the same time. He speaks very little English, so my Spanish has had a chance to start really improving. But I realized that it was a little selfish of me to be so focused on that when I first heard that his English wasn't so good - I've realized I have an opportunity to help him out with his language skills too. So that's my goal: to do what I can to help my companion learn English.

The Spanish Sisters had a baptism on Saturday, and a ton of people showed up - including a less-active guy that we've been trying to contact for a long time. Turns out he's currently living in a shelter in Folsom City. That's why we couldn't find him. Hopefully we'll be able to help him out.

We had interviews with President on Friday. He challenged me (because apparently I'm the senior companion) to get a list of all the members in our ward and visit every one we don't know in order to build member-missionary trust. Seems like sage advice to me. That should really help us with our planning too, because daily planning is like pulling teeth when you have nobody to visit/nowhere to go at certain times of day. Slow areas are the worst. I feel like the ward is looking at us as responsible for making everything happen as far as new converts go and we're not really doing so well right now...

But oh well. I'll try my hardest and at the very worst I'll be here for 6 months before I get transferred again.

        My goal is to reach 200 pounds by the end of my mission. (200 pounds of muscle, that is) so I'm eating a lot. I don't know if it will work out, but I found some heavier 60 pound dumbells and am in the process of looking for some 80 or possibly 100 pound ones. I also got some copies from the P90X booklet from another Elder, who conveniently enough knows a good protein shop here in C Heights. So I'll keep you posted. I'm at 176 right now, so I've got a ways to go. This way I can get home, shave myself bald, and finally get to be Bane for Halloween. With girls out of the picture (except for Mom, but she'll be too happy to see me to talk me out of it) the only thing I'll have to worry about is people asking me just how out of the loop I am for dressing up as him like 3 years after the movie actually came out...   

        I'm trying to remember other interesting things that happened this week...

We went out at 2 AM to see the Lunar Eclipse that happened on my B Day. That was pretty cool. We also caught the first few meteors of the shower that was going on from the 17th to today. I don't know if you saw any of that Dad, but it was pretty awesome. At least two every few minutes during the peak, and they were all surprisingly visible. 

        Dad, was it weird to call people by their first name when you got home? Because I'm at the point where I haven't heard my own first name in months and I've basically just accepted the fact that I am now "Nichols". Christensen is Christensen, Perkins is Perkins, Tepox is Tepox, and sometimes Tupac. I don't even know half of my friends' first names. 

        Okay refocusing: one other cool thing that happened was that we taught a really awesome second lesson to our newest investigator on Sunday. He seemed like he was really interested and expressed himself well in response to all of our questions. It will be cool to see how he progresses. We definitely brought the spirit while we were teaching, and it's been great to work with Elder Tepox because he has a knowledge of the scriptures that's just incredible. That's something that I think I could stand to work on. 

        Well, that's all the news that's fit to print and then some.  Looking forward to talking to you in a couple of weeks!

Love you guys.
Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment