Monday, March 31, 2014

31 Marzo, 2014


Hey.

 Well first of all, this week I broke my glasses. I was trying to bend them

 into shape since they kept sliding down my nose, and the part of the frame

 just above the lens broke. So it has a tiny fracture in it.

 The good news is that my backup glasses work great, and they don't slide

 down my nose. So everything's good. Yes, I know I'm an idiot.

 But with forearms like mine, sometimes you just misjudge your own strength.

 I tried to superglue them back together, but it didn't work out like I had

 planned and I ended up supergluing my fingers together.

 All joking aside, I should have a warranty on that frame, right? I don't

 think it's quite been a year since I got them. The lenses are undamaged so

 no worries there. If not, I'm perfectly happy to finish my mission with my

 older ones. Or there's the whole contacts thing I mentioned to you.

 

 Things are still generally the same here. I don't know about you guys.

 I've been trying really hard to not focus on the fact that we just don't

 have enough to do. It's a pretty heavy responsibility to bear, being the

 missionaries and feeling like it's all on you to build the ward that you're

 in. And our ward needs it more than most. But Bishop Smith is really

 missionary minded and we have a good group of people to work with, so we'll

 see what happens.

 

On Wednesday we set a baptismal date for the 20th of April with one of our

 investigators. That was a pretty neat experience. We'll have to see

 what happens. As of now, his wife isn't very interested in what we're

 teaching, and that may present a problem. But we'll work with her. That's

 why we're here.

 

 I'm really excited for General Conference next week! It's something that

 I've grown to love. Sometimes it can be hard to sit through hours of talks

 and catch everything without spacing out a little, but when I try to take

 notes I get some really great personal revelation from it.

 

On Thursday I went on exchanges with Elder Christensen. We had a great time.

 During our lesson with one of our investigators we were able to

 commit him to be baptized on the 20th as well! It was a really cool

 experience because before he had been completely unwilling to commit to a

 date for baptism, but after reading the Book of Mormon with him during the

 lesson, he told us that he has always "felt something special" while reading

 the Book of Mormon, but couldn't ever really explain it. It was the perfect

 opportunity to testify of the power of the Holy Ghost. So that was the big

 highlight of our week.

 

 I translated in sacrament meeting yesterday for a lady because our equipment

 was broken. It was... humbling. The hard part was that it was testimony

 meeting, and testimonies are always harder to translate than regular

 structured talks. I did okay though!

 

 Sorry this email is shorter. There just isn't a whole lot to talk about. I'm

 doing well though and I'm looking forward to seeing you all in May!

 

 I didn't know you were going to Puerto Rico. Lucky...

 Send me lot's of pictures! Study up on your Spanglish!

 Love you all,

 Jake


PS

Hey mom!


Thanks for being proud of me. I hope that pride = biscotti ;)

To answer your question about Rodriguez, he's from Puebla Mexico, he used to work in landscaping, and he's a really great Elder. I'm going to be sorry to see him go. We put up a picture of our district on FB, but that's the only picture I've taken since I got here. Honestly, California just isn't anything special. Where we are looks like every other semi-city area in the U.S.

Thanks for all of your support, mom. and keep feeding those missionaries well! They're homesick sometimes and in need of some good food. I'm going to go ahead and thank you on their behalf because I know the value of a meal with members :)

Speaking of the temple - I'll be able to go to the temple with my new companion! It's about 20 min. out of the mission in Sacramento. I've heard it's a really beautiful one.

Anyways, love you mom!

Excited to talk to you in May!

- Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment